Operational systems are designed to support Transaction Processing whereas Data Warehouse systems are designe to support Online analytical Processing
- It supports high volume transaction processing with minmal reporting
- Process oriented. Usually focused on specific business processes or tasks
- Generally concerned with the Current data
- These systems are generally updated regularily
- Optimized to perform fast inserts and updates of small volume of data
- These are application specific, non-integrated systems and contains redundant data.
- It supports high volume analytical processing and supports report generation
- Subject oriented. Subject areas are usually populated from one or more operational systems
- Generally concerned with the historical data
- It is non-volatile, that means new data may be added regulaily but once data is loaded , the data is changed rarely.
- Optimized to perform fast retrievals of large volume of data
- These are Integrated systems, to avoid data redundancy problems.