In general, we use to migrate our repo’s mainly in three different phases (Devlopment, Testing and Production). Each environment might have different repositories and different environment setups
After completion of our development phase, we deploy our code in test environment and then migrate to production environment.
Let’s see what are the possible ways to move and backing up the data in these environments.
- Export/Import from DBMS Utilities
- Methods of Migrating objects in DI
Export/Import from DBMS Utilities
- The export utility dumps the definition and data for the specified part of the database to an operating system binary file.
- The Import utility reads the file produced by an export, recreates the definitions of objects, and inserts the data.
- Save space or reduce fragmentation in the database.
Check the below links
Methods of Migrating objects in DI
1. Export to file (.atl/.xml)
Well, you want to migrate projects from Development to Test, and Production environments. You can export to file filename (.atl) and import the same in another environment.
- Project level
- Job level
- Workflow level
- Dataflow level
- Exporting Datastores, Functions, File definitions.
- Select the Project/Job/WF/DF which you want to export from your local repository, just give a right click and select the Export option.
- First of all it will calculate the dependency and appears a window along with the objects to export. now, give a rt. click and select export
- Select the Export to file option. Browse the location and click on Finish button. As soon as it finishes exporting, it displays a message that these many objects were exported.
Export to Repository
- Follow the above two steps and then mention your Database type, Connection name, Repo username and password. Click on next
- If objects are exists in the repo then it will replace the existing objects else it will create the objects.
Coming to metadata exchange option, one can exchange datastore information only not the entire repository.
- DI allows you to exchange metadata of any datastore to XML file, so that you can import this metadata in Business Objects to build universes.
- DI supports two models CWM (Common Warehouse Model) XML, Erwin XML.